Saturday, 14 March 2009

Fading Georgian Grandeur


This wonderful Georgian house is in Abbey Green in Bath. It is one of the few houses which has not been cleaned and I love the different colours on the stone. Some buildings in Bath have been rather over-restored and as a result lose some of their original patina, this one is just as it should be. It overlooks a tiny green out of which grows an enormous plane tree, the streets surrounding it are cobbled and it is a stone's throw from the Roman Baths, probably concealing a great deal of Roman archaeology underneath. We often hear in the local news of Roman finds whenever the council digs up the roads or as is happening now, developing a large area for a new shopping centre. Mosaic floors were discovered along with Medieval archaeology. It is hard not to love a city as ancient as ours.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I will definitely have to visit Bath. I truly love old buildings like this. I think they are physically attractive and I like to explore their innards.

    I also love Roman ruins...saw a bunch in Morocco many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a gorgeous old building with such nice color and I LOVE yesterday's blue door. I have a door thing that I fueled in Paris. Welcome to the wacky world of CDP!!!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing I loved about Elton House was the patina of the stone. Then the lantern caught my eye along with the iron work and street name carved into the stone: Abbey Street . . . yes what a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has been included in our guide Around The World.

    The guide is both a record of old blogs and a listing of new blogs. Although originally arising from the "City Daily Photo Blog" lists this is an independent publication. Inclusion here does not imply that a blog qualifies for nor is officially a CDPB. Our criteria are that photographs mainly from and related to a specific geographical location (not necessarily a "city" but usually more specific than a whole country or region) are posted at dated intervals (not necessarily daily) and archives are readily searchable by date.

    Please keep us informed of any changes to your details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such history in your City. Good photo of an historical wonder. I am glad you enjoyed the photo of golf, cactus and the desert. And, yes, the clouds look to fluffy in my photo to be real. I could not believe the clouds that were out that day so i made a day of photo shooting as the clouds make the photos so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, what I would give to be
    in a place where buildings
    looked so antiqued and worn
    as this one here!

    ReplyDelete